Thursday, July 5, 2018

The idol of marriage and singleness

"The Church has made an idol of marriage." Yup.
"I've made an idol of singleness." Yup.

10 years ago, I was convinced marriage was my ultimate life goal. I would never have thought singleness would be my safe space. I had no idea that someday I would think dating and marriage sounded like too much work to be worth it. My pendulum tends to swing between wishing for marriage and believing singlness is best because it's simply less complicated. In the past few years, I've discovered that not only am I content in my singlness, but I'm comfortable in it. So comfortable, that sometimes I'm reluctant to put myself in situations where I might meet someone. What would I want to tell myself 10 years ago? How do I find balance being content without being complacent? I like what Joy Eggerichs says on this topic.

Watch Joy expound on these ideas in her own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment