Monday, April 11, 2011

Here we go!

Despite my insistence that I'm not a writer, my mother claims I am!  I like to write, but I certainly enjoy talking a whole lot more!  I've blogged once before, when I went to Europe. That seems practical and purposeful.  This time around, I'm doing more of a project and I need your help!  I work at a Bible College and I want to start a woman's singleness ministry on campus.  I want these ladies to learn how to thrive as a single woman, instead of just surviving.  I know there's a million books on singleness, but I want to talk about the more practical side of being single.  What do you do when you're car dies on the side of road?  I currently need to hang curtains in my bedroom, but the ceiling is 12 feet tall.  How in the world do you get motivated to cook for one person!?  How do I get genuinely excited about buying another wedding present?

It was my Mom's idea to blog.  She asked me if I knew of any helpful blogs out there for single people, and although I didn't look really hard, I couldn't find any!  So, maybe this can be a helpful tool!??

Anyway, I've started this so I can get some ideas from you ladies.  I'll put a list of topics below, and if you have any suggestions of more topics or subtopics of the ones I've provided, I would be really grateful.  I have been single my entire life, but I still only know what it's like to be single from my perspective, and I'm sure I'm missing some big holes!  I know some of you are married, but I wanted to include a few women I know that didn't get married right out of college.  I'm sure you remember what it was like and have valuable insight!  If you know of anyone else that might be willing to contribute to this discussion, please invite them!  Thanks!!


Logistics of being single (like money, housing issues, cooking, etc)
Daydreaming
Contentment
Jealousy
Loneliness
Lies women believe about marriage
Lies women believe about themselves
What to do while you wait
What to look for in a husband
Recommended resources (books, websites, etc)

4 comments:

  1. I can't think of any more topics at the moment, but one resource I would recommend is www.boundless.org. It's a webzine put out by Focus on the Family, and while it's not only for singles, that's the primary target audience. I look forward to seeing where your blogging journey takes you, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Single-mindedness: finding your personal, God-given purpose.
    Ministry: there's so much to do; do it!
    Who Am I: feeling comfortable in the skin God gave me.
    Discipling and Mentoring younger women.
    Thinking theologically.
    Gentleness.
    Humility.
    Trust.
    Counseling
    Get Busy: being feminine doesn't mean you have to be relegated to a life of scrapbooking.

    Christian Women in Church History: Gladys Aylward, Corrie Tenboom, Betty Greene, Amy Carmichael, Madeleine L'Engle, Dorothy Sayers, Fanny Crosby, Emma Dryer, Lady Jane Grey, etc. (This is only a tiny list. There are so many more who made a huge impact, and many were single. There were also some AMAZING martyrs and ministry women from the early church)

    Resource: Check out Jerusha Clark (mom found her). I haven't read it yet, but I'm about to take one of the girls I disciple through her book: Every Thought Captive. It looks good. Here's her website: http://www.jerushaclark.com/Welcome.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I thought I could add some stuff, but Erica already beat me to the Boundless recommendation. I like the tell-it-like-it-is approach of many of their authors.

    One topic could be how single women can be intentional about developing community in their lives (which overlaps with some of the categories that you have). For example, one of the single women at CFC has decided to invite random groupings of people over for dinner on Wednesdays. She's having a blast it seems, and she's blogging her way through the recipes she discovers.

    P.S. On the community thing: I have a ladder AND appropriate curtain hanging tools. I could help you out with the curtain dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I love your idea of famous single women!!! I hadn't thought about that at all. Now time to go research!!!

    ReplyDelete