Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lies we believe

Hey everyone! I'm trying to gather a list of lies that women believe about themselves and about marriage. I've included the list I've come up with, but as I've said before, I can only see this through my lens, and I need to know what other people think too. Also, if you have any thoughts on these issues, pleas share; it will be really helpful as I put together workshops on some of the topics. Thanks for your help!

My husband will always be there to listen to me
My husband will complete me
My husband will make me happy
My problems will go away when I get married
I’ll be able to have the exact number of kids at the perfect time once I do get married.
I’m not worthy/pretty/thin/smart/interesting enough for a guy to be interested in me.
There’s no one good left/No one is good enough for me
There is sin in my life that God wants me to work through before I can get married.
I don’t have worth outside of a relationship.

2 comments:

  1. How about "If I can just learn to be content being single, God will reward me with a husband."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few of those could be flipped around and apply to men.

    You could probably add,"I don't earn enough, or am not financially stable enough..." which is a very chauvinistic thing to think, but sometimes the old ways don't go away easily.

    Nerds always have the fear that their geeky interests repel women as well.

    So a heaping helping of insecurity for everyone. I think the last one you mention hits us all at some point. Some will at that point just jump into a relationship with anyone to avoid having to really think about that. And others apply introspective and come away with a bit more peace and patience for the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete